President Joe Biden has been very clear that considered one of his prime priorities is accelerating the nation’s rollout of COVID vaccines, and he’s tapped former FDA chief David Kessler to guide the trouble. As they step into their roles, the place does America’s COVID vaccination drive stand?
In response to knowledge from the Facilities for Illness Management (CDC), 4.8% of the U.S. inhabitants had acquired a minimum of one dose of the vaccine by Jan. 19, up from 2.8% a week ago. In whole, roughly 15.7 million photographs have been administered of the 31.2 million that had been distributed. Simply over two million individuals have acquired each doses of vaccine.
Of the states, Alaska has reached the most important proportion of its inhabitants with the vaccine up to now, with 7.6% of its residents having acquired a minimum of one dose. West Virginia, final week’s chief, was the one different state the place greater than 7% of the inhabitants has acquired a minimum of one dose of vaccine.
Alabama, Georgia, and Nevada have the bottom charges, every with lower than 3% of the inhabitants having acquired a dose of one of many COVID vaccines. Alabama, which is the state that has up to now reached the smallest proportion of the inhabitants in its rollout, has solely administered 29% of the vaccine doses it has acquired.
Many of the vaccines have up to now been administered by the states to their residents; simply 1.7 million doses have been administered to Individuals in long-term care amenities by the federal partnerships with pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens.
SHARE OF THE POPULATION THAT RECEIVED AT LEAST ONE SHOT
|State or territory||Share vaccinated|
|District of Columbia||5.6%|
Extra health care and Big Pharma coverage from Fortune:
- The right way to discover out where and when you can get a COVID vaccine in your state
- The COVID-19 vaccination drive could also be gradual—nevertheless it’s already faster than any in history
- Commentary: The right way to assist your staff deal with COVID-related work absences
- A British hospital community is utilizing blockchain technology to track COVID-19 vaccines
- From a disillusioned youth precariat to state collapse—WEF ranks the risks to our post-COVID world